Critical Evaluation

Branding and Identity – 

Overall, I am pleased with the look of the brand and I think this works well as a brand Identity. The main target audience of the barbers I wanted to attract was the young professional man and to do this, I researched into the design styles which surrounds them. Therefore, I think that the style and simplistic approach to the logo works. However, I think that the brand could have had more to do with hair styling and beard products, as I think that the small image of the scissors did not suggest this enough. The font is appropriate and I think this works well with the line appearance and the French look. I also think that the logo does work well with the website and the elements of the product design look sleek and exclusive which is what I was aiming to create. 

I enjoyed this branding task, however, I found it difficult to design a logo which explores the business without being too overpowering and so I went for a simplistic and professional look to the brand. 

Children’s Book – 

For me, the children’s book task was very interesting in exploring drawing and also digital book making. I think that the characters I created in the book work well and the character of Ronald the Bear is approachable but also put across the idea of being different, which is what I wanted to show as well as the idea of being on the outside. The book is aimed at children ages 5-7 which is an age where making friends is important and therefore I wanted to explore this. However, as usual, my time management of the project was not the best and spent far too much time on creating the characters and the different features of the book and therefore when the work of the last 3 pages disappeared,  I didn’t finish the story to the full, which is a shame as I had ideas which could have worked in the narrative. However, the pages which are there are colourful and I think they are interesting to look at and work as a book aimed at 5-7 year olds. 

I enjoyed this task and I learnt a lot in how to create images and use textures from photographs which are edited on photoshop. If I where to create the book, I would like to look at using real textures for the book and see how this would work.