A Theme for Thought

Themes

I have decide on a theme for the type which uses both the traditional type face inspirations and also urban typography as a design. The theme shall be Modern Art Deco design which focuses on using these as a creative take on traditional Art Deco design. 

Art Deco style, particularly when used throughout the 1920’s in New York is typically designed using Bold, Geometric shapes in repetitive patterns. I want to use creative modern typography which has been created in design in the 21st century create a visually interesting Typeface. 

What and Where?

So the idea is to create a creative art type face, which includes elements of the traditional Art Deco style of the lavish and luxurious, but also experimenting with creative modern art inspirations to explore a new, fun typeface. 

When thinking about where I could use this font in a product or service, I think that the theme works very well with the Parisian cafe style, however, in a contemporary setting or similar boutiques which would suit this. I have looked at traditional Parisian cafe’s which are shown to have used the Art Deco type and how the has influenced the style of the business. 

patisserie_valerie_websitecafeLeTournonExterior

The first picture is Patisserie Valerie and this is a mainstream brand which uses and Art Nouveau style and is a classic typeface common in within the traditional French Cafes. 

I want to create a typeface which could be used in a contemporary setting of a modern cafe by experimenting with a creative interpretation of the Art Deco typeface. 

Modern cafes such as the ones in London have a handwritten or a rustic style to them which contrasts the traditional Art Deco style. I want to explore how this will impact a traditional style and how this would affect the brand of a modern cafe. 

bold-street-coffee-liverpool-6photographers-gallery-cafe-2_600x399-600x399London-paticdscn75822-1396347177-foxcroft-ginger-best-london-cafes__square

These modern cafes in London are an example of how the contemporary cafe brands are using traditional styles of design with the handwritten and the stencil type. These are being used in a contemporary setting which I want to use with a modern interpretation of the Art Deco style.